6 October 2011

Kona Diary - Day 35

I tried to lie in this morning, but it wasn't happening.  The days training didn't start until late morning, when I headed out for a 30 mile ride with a few pick-ups to race pace and above.  I felt great on the bike and with the race wheels on, the bike flies.  It was noticeable how many riders were out on the highway, with riders everywhere you looked.  After the run I went for a short run of a little over 3 miles.  I'm not normally a huge fan of brick workouts (running immediately after cycling), but I like to have a couple in the weeks leading up to the race. 

After the training there was more relaxing to be done.  Relaxing is a common theme in Ironman race week, as you simply can't do it too much!  Nothing you do at this stage will make you fitter on race day.  Later in the afternoon I went to the Muscle Milk/Cytomax house on Ali'i Drive for the Slowtwitch (triathlon forum) party.  The house was in a great location right on the ocean, with a nice garden and amazing views. 

Tomorrow is a significantly lighter training day.  I'll go for a short swim and perhaps a short cycle.  At this stage I'll see how I feel and decide on the day.  No workout is set in stone, it's just important to adapt to how the body feels and stay in the best frame of mind as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nick - You'll do fantastic. Solid and steady all day long until the Energy Lab, then let it rip coming home! Best wishes for a great race on Saturday. Stu

    ReplyDelete