24 September 2011

Kona Diary 2011 - Days 19-23

Monday was the official start of my taper period, 19 days out from race day.  With that, I started in the best possible way - with a rest day.  I did a reasonably good job of doing nothing for most of the day, trying to stay off my feet as much as possible and relax.  By Tuesday it was back to business, starting with an early morning run with some mile repeats.  From here on, the running volume will decrease as race day approaches, but it's important to keep some intensity in the sessions.  After lunch I went for a gentle recovery spin, which was slowed down slightly by a puncture - my first since arriving.  Later that day I headed to the pool, getting in a really encouraging session, including 10x 200 yards well above race pace.


Wednesday was a race simulation day, comprising of a 100 mile ride followed by a quick 30 minute run.  As with all long rides, it was another opportunity to practice race nutrition.  This ride was without a doubt the windiest conditions I've ever experienced on a bike.  There were occasions where I was working really hard into headwinds, barely exceeding 10mph.  On the flip side, the tailwind sections were rapid!  When I headed out for my run a midday, I realised it wasn't very well timed! To say it was hot would be a bit of an understatement!   

Thursday was another recovery day which didn't quite go to plan.  I ended up doing quite a bit of walking in the morning which left me feeling quite fatigued, so I made the decision to ditch the planned afternoon swim.  As with any phase of training, there's a plan in place, but it's always important to listen to your body and make a change when you feel it's necessary.  Today (Friday) started with another run session, this time with 800m repeats.  After a great breakfast at Lava Java I had another swim session, this time mainly focussing on technique.

With just over 2 weeks to go until the race, the island is noticeably busier. 'Welcome Triathletes' signs are up everywhere, so you know it's nearly game time! I'm looking forward to the training to come over the weekend, followed by another lighter day on Monday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment