21 July 2011

Kona Travel Plans Finalised

It's done.  Flights and accommodation booked and paid for.  I actually booked my Kona accommodation months ago in an effort to avoid the hectic rush that I experienced after Austria last year.  It's a weight off my shoulders knowing that the details have been confirmed.  Now all that's left to do is concentrate on the training.  

So, what's the scoop?  I'm leaving Seychelles on 17th August and flying to London, where I'll spend 2 weeks in the south of the UK.  On the 1st September I fly from London to Kona (via LA).  Yes, that's the 1st September, and yes, that's over 5 weeks before the race.  Nothing like a 5 week specific build up to get you acclimatised!  There were many lessons that I learned from my trip last year, one of which was that more than 8 days was needed to feel fully acclimatised and ready to race in the humidity.  5 weeks is definitely overkill, but chances like these don't come around often, and I'm committed to making the most of this opportunity.  Last year was all about the experience and enjoying myself.  This year there's more expectation to perform.

I'll be staying in a nice little condo - actually, two nice little condos!  I'll spend the first 3 and a half weeks in one condo, then I'll move into another for the final 2 weeks.  This wasn't intentional, but ended up being the best solution.  The condos are right in the heart of Kona, very close to all the action.  That was another lesson from last year - needing to stay closer to the race site.  Last year I ended up walking at least 30-60 minutes each day just getting around, as I stayed further down Ali'i Drive.  Not having to walk to much this year will be a huge bonus, and I don't have to go through the hassle of renting a car.

In 6 weeks to the day I'll be on the plane to Kona!  

No comments:

Post a Comment