1 January 2011

2011

January marks my four year anniversary in triathlon training and racing.  In my first race in 2007 I finished 57th/61 finishers.  But it wasn't the result that was important, it was proving to myself that I could finish the race.  The thrill of finishing your first race is a special feeling, and you couldn't care whether you finished first or last, it's all about finishing.  I had big ambitions when I started the sport, but didn't think that triathlon would shape my life the way it has.  

I've been fortunate enough to travel to some amazing places to race, including Switzerland, Austria, Monaco, Mauritius and of course, Hawaii.  Every race is special, whether it's a small local race or a World Championship.  With so much time and energy invested in training, it's easy to get caught up in the competition and lose sight of why we actually compete.  Triathlon isn't just a sport, it's a lifestyle.    

With 2011 now upon us, it's time to reveal the schedule.  Two races are confirmed for 2011: Ironman South Africa in April and Ironman Western Australia in December.  Of course, there's the small issue of a World Championship in October that I hope to be part of!  The amount of other races I'll do during the year will depend largely on where I'll be living, be it in the UK or in Seychelles.  

In the last four years I've made good progress, but realise that from here on in, attaining that rate of progress will become increasingly more difficult.  Whilst being pleased with the 2010 season, there is a lot of room for improvement across the board.  It's been another consistent year of training and I'll take the lessons learned and apply them to 2011.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment