11 December 2009

Racing in Mauritius

Wow, what a surprise!  On Saturday 19th December I'll compete in the Mauritius ITU African Cup at Le Morne.  The race is a standard Olympic Distance, comprising of a 1.5km swim, 40km cycle and 10km run.  This will be the first Elite ITU race I've competed in, so I'm certainly jumping in at the deep end!  Ultimately, this is the stage upon which I wish to compete in the future, so to get a taste of Elite ITU racing this year is a fantastic opportunity. 

All Olympic Distance Elite ITU races are draft-legal, meaning that you can cycle as a pack and draft off eachother.  This format makes the race a tactical affair and is very different from non-drafting racing.  Currently there are 15 other international athletes registered for the race, with the majority from Mauritius. 

I'm extremely grateful to both the race orgainsers and the ITU for allowing me to compete in the race, especially at such short notice.  A massive thank you to both Air Seychelles and Super Yacht Services Seychelles who have generously sponsored my travel to and from the event, all the way from London no less!   

Full race report to follow. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nick,

    How did you get into Triathlon growing up in the Seychelles? Are there good opportunities for cycling and running over there?

    Would be really interested to hear as I'm considering a year long move to the Seychelles.

    Thanks
    Clare

    www.claredobson.com

    ReplyDelete